Itunes 10 Install after Windows 7 Repair Install

I had computer problems so I restored my computer to an earlier image but found out the image was corrupted. So I then had to do a Wndows 7 Repair Install and everything seems to be working on my computer except iTunes won't install.

After the repair I went to safe mode to uninstall iTunes 9 (image had iTunes 9) using Revo Uninstaller then rebooted to desktop so I could install iTunes 10 prior to this computer problem I had been running iTunes 10. Now I'm getting this error when running the installer:

"There is a problem with the Windows Installer package a program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected." I click ok instead of cancel and it continues to install but when it opens iTunes I get this message:

"The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other cd software, Please reinstall iTunes."

Reinstalling or using iTunes repair does no good it does look like when iTunes did open I had my songs although there were some duplicates. The songs I did try played and seemed to have the right file path although I didn't notice an iTunes folder in "Music". I did make a backup of my files before the Windows Repair Install and I did restore them prior to installing iTunes 10.

Any idea what I can do, am I going to have to run the Windows 7 Repair Install again or run a clean install and completely reformat/reinstall Windows which I hope is a last resort?
I'm no Windows wizard any more and I have no experience with Win7 but I still provide the support I can for family and friends. It sounds like you have some Registry issues that may be fixed by looking on Apple's support for doing a clean install of iTunes. It should have the procedures for removing both programs and Registry keys that may fix the problem. I have rarely had good luck with un-installer programs, they and registry cleaners can cause even more issues like this. At this point since you have a back up I would use this as an opportunity to clean the system up with a clean install and start fresh. Sometimes this is the easiest route as you can waste days fixing stupid little bugs.

Before you start double check your back ups to ensure they are good and you have not missed any thing on the computer that is not in your back ups. I'm a big back up freak and would make another back up with a new USB drive, you can never have too many back ups as you have found out with the image. With 2 usb drives you can alternate back ups keeping one off site for additional protection. 

0 comments: